October is Rett Syndrome Awareness Month internationally. This year the month has also been recognized by the Government of Canada and listed on their calendar of health promotion.
The month gives us a chance to educate people in our communities about Rett Syndrome and how it impacts those affected and their caregivers. O.R.S.A. will be focusing on a different topic each week during the month:
- Week 1: General Rett Syndrome Awareness
- Week 2: Caring for Individuals With Rett Syndrome
- Week 3: Communication and AAC
- Week 4: Basic Science and Clinical Research
As part of this, O.R.S.A. will officially launch a YouTube channel with interviews from speakers and participants at our 2018 conference. The videos will be rolled out throughout the month and we encourage everyone to share them with their family and friends.
Once again, major attractions in Ontario will be lit purple on October 29th.
- CN Tower: beginning at sunset, except for a standard 8 minute light show at the top of each hour
- Niagra Falls: 10pm – 10:15pm
- Peace Bridge: Dusk – 1am – Moved to October 28th due to unforeseen circumstances
- 3D Toronto Sign: 9am until 9am next morning (in rotation with standard lighting) – Moved to October 30th due to vigil for Pittsburgh tragedy
We encourage everyone to light up their homes or business place purple as well! We have a flyer with basic information about Rett syndrome available to download and print for sharing with your neighbours.
Please send any photos to us on Facebook, Twitter or email email@example.com. Watch our social media accounts for lots of updates throughout the month.